“Joaquin rocked the festival”
AD, Rainforest Fest, Malaysia
“Although the crowd responded positively to all the acts of the night, it was the last two acts that really spurred the capacity crowd to its feet. Joaquin Diaz and his band got the crowd swaying and sashaying to the infectious Afro-Caribbean rhythms of the Dominican Republic.”
Churchill Edwards, Borneo Post,
Sarawak Daily News, Malaysia
“Diaz’s meringue has a melodic sensibility… he is a master instrumentalist, expertly skittering through intricate accordion solos…”
SingOut! magazine, USA
“…un fervent et talentueux defenseur du diatonique (accordeon) et de la tradition rurale des pericos ripiaos, ses petits ensembles typiques qui bercent les nuits de Santo Domingo.”
Accordeon et Accordeonistes,
Jean Pierre Bruneau, Paris, France
“un peu comme a Cuba, il y a une richesse musicale et un metissage de cultures… Les Dominicains on le sens de la fete.”
Journal de Montreal
Joaquin Diaz onstage is totally irresistible. His light-fingered accordion playing and his infectious vocals drenched in Latin soul make this Caribbean maestro the best of the new generation of traditional folk merengue artists. His repertoire is a mixture of traditional and original tunes characterized by exhilarating rhythms.
Diaz’s musical career began on the streets of San Pedro de Macorix at age nine and by the age of twelve, this Dominican king of accordion was playing in the most prestigious Regencies of the capital city. While still in his teens he performed at the Pan-American Games in Puerto Rico accompanying the Dominican Republic’s Ballets Folkloricos.
In 1990 Joaquin brought his cultural magic and accordion wizardry with him to Canada. Based in Montréal, he and his extremely talented musicians have thrilled Latino and non-Latino fans alike throughout North America and Europe. After performing at several editions of the renowned International Accordion Festival in San Antonio, Texas, he was awarded a grant by Canada Council for the Arts to study conjunto music, and continues to explore accordion styles (musette, Québécois).
In performance, Joaquin’s musicians sustain his sense of rhythm with devilish percussion – congas, tambora, guira, bongos, bass drum and electric bass – and add vocal energy to the invigorating bachatas. His own vocals are absolutely electrifying and he is a master showman who connects directly and effortlessly with an audience. Joaquin Diaz has travelled the world as an ambassador for merengue music.
- Artistes à L'École,
Sept-Iles, Qc, Canada
- 29 - Airbag Festival,
- 30 - Rasa Muziek & Dans,
- 25 - Stewart Hall,
Pointe-Claire, Qc, Canada
- 11-13 - Montana Folk Festival,
Butte, MN, U.S.A.
- -------------------- August
- 6-10 - Zomer van Antwerpen Festival,
- 30-1(Sept) - Carrefour Mondial de l'Accordéon,
Montmagny, Qc, Canada
- 9-12 - Richmond Folk Festival,
Richmond, VA, U,S,A
- Mundial Montreal Conference, Showcase, Montreal, Qc, Canada
- Montreal International Jazz Festival, Montreal, Qc, Canada
- Des Kiwis et des Hommes, TV Radio-Canada. Montreal, Qc, Canada
- International Accordion Festival, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A
- Paleo, Switzerland
- Chicago World Music Festival, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- California World Music Festival, California, U.S.A.
- Latin Music Festival, Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
- Music and Heritage Festival, Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.
- Lotus Festival, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
- Carrefour Mondial de l'accordéon, Montmagny, Qc, Canada
- Rencontres Internationales de St-Chartier, St-Chartiers, France
- Ethnic and World Music Festival, Prague, Czech Republic
- Forde World Music Festival, Forde, Norway
- Festival des Suds, Arles, France
- Kaustinen World Music Festival, Finland
- Music under the Stars, El Paso, Texas, U.S.A.
- Forum Universal de la Cultura, Barcelona, Spain
- Rencontres Européennes de l'Accordéon, Chartres, France
- Out of Doors Concert Series, Lincoln Center, New York, N.Y., U.S.A.
- Winnipeg Folk Festival, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Festival d'Été de Québec, Québec, Qc, Canada
- East Lansing Folk Festival, East Lansing, Michigan, U.S.A.
- European Tour, The Netherlands
Ghyslaine Bernier, Merengue Productions.
Heidi Fleming, FamGroup.
Bookings North America
Marylin Gilbert, MGAM.
Dirk Seymous, LINK WADRAAT.
+32 15 25 02 69
Official Portrait Photos
credit: Daylight Studio credit: Patrick Power